SELF-ingrediënt: aloë vera in huidverzorging

Taking a closer look at aloe vera in skin care

Aloe vera or Aloe Barbadensis Miller has been known for it’s healthy qualities for centuries now. The plant is related to the lily flower. The gel inside the prickly leafs is filled with healthy elements, no wonder it’s such a loved ingredient in skin care! But what does it do for your skin and where does the plant come from?

The origin

Aloe vera grows mostly in dry areas and warm climates near the Mediterranean sea, in America and Asia. This plant was well known in Ancient Egypt, Cleopatra would, allegedly, take aloe vera baths. And other cultures discovered the beautiful benefits of this plant as well! Throughout the years, aloe vera would be called many things; the elixir of life, eternal youth, desert lily and miracle plant.

But the ingredient has gained a lot of popularity in Europe, it’s one of the most sought after ingredients in cosmetics and after sun products. Even the pharmacy’s and grocery stores are stocked with aloe vera based products. The success of the ingredient can be found in the unique composition.

The composition

We call aloe vera nature’s miracle ingredient, and rightly so. The composition is unique, 95% is water but the remaining 5% is full of active ingredients, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. When you cut a leaf in half, you’ll find a slimy gel, this is the substance used for cosmetic and skin care products.

There are several other benefits to aloe vera: the ingredient is easily absorbed by the skin and the healing and moisture balancing substances do their jobs. A lot of skin care products don’t penetrate the top layer of the skin, but aloe vera absorbs deeply and offers the ultimate care for your skin.

The power of nature

The healthy substances such as vitamins, minerals, enzymes and amino acids offer nourishment for every type of skin. Aloe vera contains the following characteristics:

  • Aloe vera has an antibacterial and soothing effect, meaning the substance is good for all types of skin problems and effective against burns, it also helps soothe insect bites.

  • It’s a great source of moisture for dry skins. It contains lipids and saccharides, substances that make sure the loss of moisture is contained to a minimum.

  • The vitamins A and E contribute to and stimulate the production of collagen and the skin’s restoration process.

  • The substance anthraquinone has a painkilling and antibacterial effect.

  • The amino acids, lipids, tannins and enzymes contribute to a detox of the skin.

So there it is, aloe vera is a sacred ingredient, beneficial for every skin type and helps against problems such as eczema, acne and rosacea. The ingredient has a soothing effect and offers nourishment for your skin.

The ingredients of SELF

SELF products contain 5 main ingredients: aloe vera, macadamia, argan, coconut and shea butter. These ingredients form a great team that enforce each others effects. Care to read more about our ingredients? You can find all the information over here: